By Susan Cobb
Designer’s Tip: Use a wet paint brush and Brown Gold Inka-Gold to paint in the tree trunk and branches, then mask the trunk and branch areas before adding Green Sparkle Texture Paste for the leaves. (If you are using a small palette knife to apply the Green Sparkle Texture Paste, you will not need to mask the trunk and branches)
- Front: Place your blank card with the fold at the left. Cover the card with Trail Blazer green/brown textured paper. Cut a two 5”x1/2” strips from Trail Blazer wood grain paper. Glue 1 strip across the card, 1/4” from the top. Glue the second strip across the card, 1/4" from the bottom. Ink the edges of the card dark brown.
- Cut a 5”x5 3/4" Trail Blazer tan map paper, ink the edges dark brown, and place on your work surface. Place the stencil on the paper, centering the tree. Use stencil tape to secure the edges of the stencil in place. Use the mini squeegee or palette knife to obtain a small amount of Inka-Gold and place it on your acrylic block (do not add water to the container of Inka-Gold—use it separately so bacteria or mold is not introduced into the container). Add a small amount of water with the paint brush and mix on the block with the Inka-Gold until it is smooth.
- Use the paintbrush to paint the tree trunk and branches inside the open spaces of the stencil. It dries quickly, but make sure it is completely dry before masking the trunk and branch areas.
- With the stencil still in place, use the small diamond trowel palette knife to spread Green Sparkle Texture Paste on only the leaf openings of the stencil. Remove the stencil and wash it with soap and water, then dry with a paper towel. Let the stenciled design dry.
- Glue the stenciled paper centered on the card. Place Thin Lines Dazzles™ on the long edges of the wood grain paper strips. Cut a 5” length of 1/2" wide brown twill and glue it across the card, even with the bottom edge of the tan map paper. Tie a brown twill bow and Zot™ it on the left side of the twill length. Place Tiny Words & Phrases Dazzles™ “Happy Birthday” on the right side of the twill length.